I’ve been a skeptic of the climate change (formerly called global warming) hysteria, but this report has given me pause:
“The Arctic ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot. Reports all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met with as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.”
Well actually, I paused only for a moment, until I realized that this is a report from The U.S.Weather Bureau in 1922. I was alerted to it by Steven Hayward’s column at Powerline this morning. He posted several excerpts from the presentation MIT’s Richard Lindzen gave to the British House of Commons this past Wednesday on Reconsidering The Climate Change Act. There is backlash in the U.K. to repeal the Climate Change Act that David Cameron rammed through Parliament in 2008. The entire report is here, scroll to page 38 for the U.S. Weather Bureau report from 1922.
Lindzen also said:
In fact, the arctic is notoriously variable; similar statements are available for 1957, and the U.S.S. Skate surfaced at the N. Pole in 1959. So much for “unprecedented.”
The alarm over declining Arctic ice today is over blown by the climate change drama queens. Arctic ice is always changing.
Lindzen opened his presentation this way:
I wish to thank the Campaign to Repeal the Climate Change Act for the opportunity to present my views on the issue of climate change – or as it was once referred to: global warming. Stated briefly, I will simply try to clarify what the debate over climate change is really about. It most certainly is not about whether climate is changing: it always is. It is not about whether CO2 is increasing: it clearly is. It is not about whether the increase in CO2, by itself, will lead to some warming: it should. The debate is simply over the matter of how much warming the increase in CO2 can lead to, and the connection of such warming to the innumerable claimed catastrophes. The evidence is that the increase in CO2 will lead to very little warming, and that the connection of this minimal warming (or even significant warming) to the purported catastrophes is also minimal. The arguments on which the catastrophic claims are made are extremely weak – and commonly acknowledged as such. They are sometimes overtly dishonest.
Yes, overtly dishonest. For example, the phony hockey-stick graph that Michael Mann used to hide the decline of temperatures in mini ice age during the Middle Ages, and more recently the forgeries and fraud of Peter Cleick in the Heartland Institute affair.
LIndzen carefully led the MPs through a primer on the basics of scientific knowledge and how climate change hysteria has made a mockery of it:
Quite apart from the science itself, there are numerous reasons why an intelligent observer should be suspicious of the presentation of alarm.
1. The claim of ‘incontrovertibility.’ Science is never incontrovertible.
2. Arguing from ‘authority’ in lieu of scientific reasoning and data or even elementary logic.
3. Use of term ‘global warming’ without either definition or quantification.
4. Identification of complex phenomena with multiple causes with global warming and even as ‘proof’ of global warming.
5. Conflation of existence of climate change with anthropogenic climate change.
Some Salient Points:
1. Virtually by definition, nothing in science is ‘incontrovertible’ – especially in a primitive and complex field as climate. ‘Incontrovertibility’ belongs to religion where it is referred to as dogma.
2. As noted, the value of ‘authority’ in a primitive and politicized field like climate is of dubious value – it is essential to deal with the science itself. This may present less challenge to the layman than is commonly supposed.
The report should be read in its entirety by anyone curious about the infamous global warming and climate change hysteria that has been a plague on the minds of millions for the past 30 years.